Join us at ASMC today
Eastern (EDT) U.S. 10:55 AM – 12:00 PM, Pacific(PDT) 7.55am – 9.00am, Europe (CET) 16.55h – 18.00h, UK 3.55pm – 5pm
Session 2: Maximizing the potential of spectrum sharing – innovative new technology and policy thinking.
Tim Harrington, Chairman of UWB Alliance talks with other key panelists on the Universal need for Spectrum Sharing. With modern technologies continuing to advance the ‘squeeze’ on spectrum is showing no sign of letting up.
Today there is a greater emphasis than ever before on using sharing techniques to evolve and maximize efficiency through co-existence. This is demonstrated in the US by President Biden requesting $39 million be made available in his fiscal budget for 2022 to “…support the development and deployment of broadband and 5G technologies by identifying innovative approaches to spectrum sharing.”
We will look at the tools and techniques that are available to both regulators and industry to ensure that spectrum is allocated and utilized in the most efficient way possible, and in a way that encourages innovation whilst protecting the rights of all.
Everybody is welcome, please click here to join the discussion for free.
What we do
Since 2019, UWB has been expanding into a mainstream consumer technology for smartphones, wearables, automotive and industry, forecasted to drive sales volumes in excess of one billion devices annually by 2025.
Building upon the standardization work performed by our staff and members within the IEEE on the 802.15.4z, we are focussed on providing a favourable regulatory and spectrum management landscape to maximize UWB growth. This includes working to secure new advantageous rulesets in the upcoming reviews in USA and Europe to expand the use cases for UWB technology.
We are also heavily involved in optimizing spectrum sharing whilst minimizing interference. We evangelise coexistence for the expanding Wireless Multiverse and work with members and stakeholders to provide thought leadership on strategies to “make it all work together”.
Scope and Goals
The UWB Alliance takes a proactive position to influence regulatory matters in our mission to:
- Develop effective coexistence strategies for UWB bands with new evolving radio regulations
- Increase the utility of UWB globally through the expansion and adoption of UWB Standards worldwide. Examples include providing better indoor range, expanding outdoor use, simplifying the automotive rulesets, and working to find alternative solutions to the EC’s proposal to mandate the measurement of transmit duty cycle over a one-hour period.
- We are also advocating new spectrum, such as the new work item in Europe to Expand UWB up to 12.4 GHz, as well as in the emerging higher frequency bands.
- We work to educate and influence country/regional regulatory bodies with the goal of expanding the worldwide regulatory footprint for UWB and harmonization of international regulatory standards.
Working together with our members, we chair, orchestrate, and promote end-to-end vendor agnostic interoperability built upon newly published and already widely adopted standards – such as IEEE 802.15.4z – in our mission to:
- Establish Ultra-Wideband (UWB) technology as a significant open-standards industry
- Promote IEEE 802.15.4 as specified in amendments 802.15.4a and 4f
- Extend the work published in the new 802.15.4z amendment
- Create other evolving standards-based UWB technologies
Advocate UWB Technology
As part of our mission, we advocate UWB technology and use cases to:
- Promote verticals showing the value of UWB for IoT and Industry 4.0
- Build a global ecosystem across the complete UWB value chain, from the silicon to the service.